HomeWelcomeUpdatesCompanyAircraftPeopleProjectsEquipmentOperationsPhoto AlbumGuest BookSearchAdastrianaQuestions


Offshore Sydney - Newcastle

February - March 1966


Researched by Doug Morrison

Sourced from an Operational Report issued by Adastra Hunting Geophysica Pty Ltd
held by
DIGS database, State of New South Wales and Department of Planning and Environment


Client Shell Development (Australia) Pty Ltd
Operator Adastra Hunting Geophysics Pty Ltd
Aircraft DC-3 VH-AGU
Equipment Gulf Mk III Magnetometer towed
APN-1 Radio Altimeter
Marconi Series 623 Doppler Navigator
Doppler readings were recorded on a Bolex 16mm cine camera

Vinten 35mm Tracking Camera
Lens: f2 / 28mm
Shutter Speed: 1/250 second
Format: 18mm x 25mm
Film: Du Pont Type 936 (Superior 2) rated at 160ASA in 400ft magazines
Processing by: Associated Film Printers, Moore Park, Sydney
Base/s Sydney (Mascot)
Captain D. Brennan
First Officer R. Williams
Navigator M. Wood and L. Sheffield
Mag. Operator M. Miller
Area Offshore between Morna Point and Wollongong extending for a minimum of 23 nautical miles to a maximum of 36 nautical miles from the coastline.
Linear Miles 994 miles
Altitude 1,500 feet AMSL
Commenced 21FEB66
Completed 03MAR66
Notes Flying dates: 21, 22 & 25 February and 2 & 3 March 1966.

Clearance to start operations on this survey was granted on the 15th February, 1966, but because of cyclonic weather which brought heavy rain and high winds, operations were cancelled but a start was finally made on the 21st February, 1966.

Initial navigational problems brought about by various sea movements caused by currents and surface spray due to wind action resulted in reduced usable line mileage, several lines being reflown.

The second sortie was reasonably successful but rapid changes in sea movement made it difficult to fly parallel lines.

The third sortie, on the 23rd February, 1966 was abandoned owing to low cloud which persisted all day, never rising more than about 700-800 feet above sea level.

Because of operating restrictions imposed by the Royal Australian Air Force at Williamtown, a successful third sortie was not flown until Friday 25th February, 1966.

In view of the various restrictions and because sea movements were excessive, it was decided to postpone operations until calmer conditions prevailed.

Sorties 4 and 5 on the 2nd and 3rd of March, 1966 completed the flying programme.